Little Georgie is an Australian owned kids hat brand that aims to provide serious sun protection for babies, toddlers and children. Our kids hats are not just an ordinary hat, they are designed with sun safety in mind with the added bonus of helping to protect our marine life.
You are probably scratching your head wondering how a kids hat brand can help protect our marine life. Don't worry, we thought exactly the same thing when we started down this path.
As a business, we want to do more than just create amazing kids hats. We want to play a part in providing a better future for the next generations.
The world is going through an important period of change. Protecting the environment is a high priority for so many and many Local Governments are declaring climate emergencies.
After living near the World Heritage Ningaloo Reef in WA, our attention was turned to the importance of protecting our beautiful marine wildlife, including sea turtles and whalesharks.
Whilst living in this beautiful part of the country, we heard some stories and did some research and we came across some astounding statistics. Here is just a snippet of some of the shocking facts we discovered:
- Approximately 640,000 tonnes of fishing nets are abandoned or lost in the world’s oceans every year. As a comparison, the steel work for the Sydney harbour bridge weighs approximately 55 thousand tonnes.
- Approximately 136,000 seals, sea lions and whales are estimated to be killed by ghost nets every year.
- 1,028 kilometres of fishing nets are lost in the North Pacific Ocean each year. That's further than Sydney to Brisbane!
- 133,000 pieces of plastic debris was found on average on each square kilometre of beach during one study of Eastern Australia.
- 8 MILLION TONNES of plastics and synthetics end up in the worlds oceans every year!
And the kicker.....
- Plastics and synthetics can last 600 years in our oceans. Yes you read that right, 600 YEARS!!!
Just imagine how much plastic will be in our oceans in 600 years. Our future generations will be swimming in plastic. Quite disturbing really!
SO WHAT ARE WE DOING ABOUT IT?
We have partnered with an amazing program that collects these abandoned ghost nets and other plastic waste from our oceans and turns the nets into a wonderfully soft and silky fabric. Teams of volunteer divers, sailors and fisherman donate their time to rid our oceans of these synthetics nets and plastics.
Once these harmful ghost nets are removed from our oceans, they are then converted into an environmentally-friendly, regenerated polyester/nylon elastane fabric. This fabric is then used to make our Eco Friendly kids hats that are so comfortable to wear and perfect for any little adventurer.
We are just a small fish in this big ocean but we are always looking to improve on the things that we do as individuals, and also as a small business. In the next few years, we hope to make a complete change to the way we operate as a business and the products we provide.
We would love for you to join us in making a difference. From little things, big things grow!